Bizcast: Bits about books – In Conversation with Cash Nickerson, Chairman Of The Board and CEO at AKKA GROUP NORTH AMERICA, Author, The Samurai Listener
- Cash Nickerson is one of the original thinkers. Cash is the Chairman of The Board and CEO at AKKA GROUP NORTH AMERICA. An entrepreneur, lawyer, philanthropist and martial artist with a diverse background in law, business development and finance. He has rich cross-industry experience from entrepreneurial start-up to a large law firm to a large public corporation. Experienced in transportation and mobility – Railroad, Trucking, Aerospace and Space.
- In martial arts, if you are not paying attention you are going to get hurt. This ability to concentrate gave martial artists a keen sense of what’s coming next. They knew exactly what the opponent is going to do. Listening brings this exact superpower into our lives.
- 85% of your success depends upon your soft skills. Yet this is one of the most neglected fields of study possibly because most thought soft skills were not teachable. Yet Cash decided to focus on Listening, wanted to teach himself to be a better listener and eventually, that led to his first book Listening as a Martial Art.
- The older we get our memories start to deteriorate. But most of what we “forget” are things we did not hear in the first place. Our shields are up and some of the deep divides around racial discrimination we see today come from our lack of ability to listen.
- Our meetings are ineffective because we are distracted. Cash recommends that you list down items in your head before you head into that meeting. This will enable you to be present in the meeting and listen with intent.
Now Listen in to this invaluable episode with Cash Nickerson.
These and more startling insights in this eye-opening episode of Bits About Books.
Run time – 33.41 mins.